The ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes reduces Australia’s economic, social and environmental vulnerability to climate extremes.
We are an international research consortium of five Australian universities and a network of outstanding national and international partner organisations supported by the Australian Research Council.
We lead vital climate science and predictions, train climate science leaders and prepare Australia for future climate extremes.
Climate extremes are high impact events that seriously affect natural and human systems. Our research programs investigate these events.
Study with us
We train the climate science leaders of the future.
For the community
Ways the community can engage with our work.
Governments and policymakers can access the latest science on climate extremes.
We provide support to industries impacted by climate extremes.
Climate extremes 2021
Our report on the climate and weather extremes of 2021.
Brief summaries of the latest science.
- Planetary waves, cut-off lows and blocking highs: what’s behind record floods across the Southern Hemisphere?
- “We must invest in the next generation of climate science leaders”
- Climate change is killing trees in Queensland’s tropical rainforests
- New data challenges “time we have left” and the carbon budget
- Video: Climate Science – what it is, why it matters and what it tells us
- Australia could rapidly shift to clean transport – if we had a strategy. So we put this plan together
- A climate scientist on India and Pakistan’s horror heatwave, and the surprising consequences of better air quality
- A new global picture of compounding weather and climate hazards
- Extreme climate and weather events in a warmer world