The ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes has honours awards available for students interested in working on climate science projects. 

Climate Science is a highly quantitative discipline. Successful students would be most likely those enrolled in the Bachelor of Science program with a consistently strong academic record in relevant courses; in most cases this means having a solid background in maths and physics.

Students must be enrolled in honours of one of our five universities:

  • UNSW
  • University of Melbourne
  • University of Tasmania
  • ANU
  • Monash University

At the University of Melbourne, due to the phasing out of honours, these awards may be awarded to MSc students.

Successful students will be awarded a certificate celebrating their achievement of being an ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes honours award winner. 

Students studying in Australia will also be given a scholarship of $10,000 for one year and will be payable subject to satisfactory academic progress, which is to be determined by the honours project supervisor, along with a certificate celebrating the award.

Unfortunately students studying offshore cannot be paid a cash scholarship.


Each applicant will be assessed on the basis of:

  • Academic merit (please provide copies of academic transcripts).
  • The extent to which the Honours topic aligns with the Centre’s research aims (please provide a statement, not more than 500 words, outlining the Honours topic).
  • Aptitude and commitment to the preferred program of study (please provide a short, not more than 200 words, statement on why you want to undertake honours in the climate sciences).

To apply, please complete our application form. Be sure to upload copies of your CV and academic transcripts. 

Applications for a S2 (T3 for UNSW) 2023 start are now open. Applications close September 8, 2023

Please note: Students must be enrolled in honours of one of our five universities, and supervised by an ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes Chief Investigator, Associate Investigator, or Research Associate.

To apply please follow the link:

For more information, contact our Graduate Director at