Led by Dietmar Dommenget
The CLEX Tropical Variability group meets fortnightly via videoconference to share research on atmospheric sciences, physical oceanography and climate from subseasonal to multidecadal timescales and beyond.
The meetings occur every second Tuesday at 10am. Meeting reminders are sent to the group email list (email@example.com) on the Thursday and Monday before the meeting.
We have more than CLEX 100 subscribers. To join our list, please contact Andrea Taschetto ( Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ). Due to a large number of members, we have decided to cycle the meetings through four themes:
- Andrea Taschetto ( email@example.com )
- Decadal Variability and Climate Change:
- Kimberley Jane Reid ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Diverse (e.g. MJO, monsoons, model errors, oceans, land, TCs, etc.)
We welcome volunteers to talk in the meetings. If you want to give a talk at the Tropical Variability meeting, please contact Andrea Taschetto ( Email: email@example.com ) – or the theme leaders above.
September 17 (Decadal/Climate Change): Christian Stassen. Conceptual understanding on large-scale tropical precipitation changes.
October 1 (ENSO): TBA
October 15 (Diverse): Ryan Holmes – Ocean heat transport and its variability in temperature coordinates.
October 29 (Extratropics): Qian Li – Teleconnection of ENSO to the Amundsen Sea Low on the Southern Ocean Mixed-Layer Depth.
November 12 (Decadal/Climate Change): Jiale Lou. TBA
November 26 (ENSO): TBA
December 10 (Diverse): Rishav Goyal – TBA
- 03/09/19 (Extratropics)
- Giovanni Liguori – Disentangling the drivers of global and tropical Pacific decadalvariability using large ensembles.
- 20/08/19 (Diverse)
- Tim Cowan. Multi-week predictability of the extreme conditions associated with the February 2019 floods across North Queensland. (view slides here – pdf)
- 06/08/19 (ENSO)
- Sonja Neske. Wind spatial structure underpins ENSO’s oceanic warm water volume changes. (view slides here – pdf)
- 23/07/19 (Decadal/Climate Change)
- Harry Hendon. Continuation of Tropical Pacific Ocean trend will weaken linkage of SAM and extreme El Niño. (view slides here – pdf)
- 09/07/19 (Extratropics)
- Julie Arblaster. The influence of tropical SSTs on Antarctic and Arctic sea ice extent (view slides here – pdf).
- 18/06/19 (Diverse):
- Zijie Zhao. Midsummer drought over Central America and Mexico: Methods, Signatures and Mechanisms.
- 11/06/19 (Cancelled):
- AMOS Conference.
- 28/05/19 (ENSO):
- Shreya Dhame. Atmospheric response to long-term Indian Ocean Warming in CAM5.
- 14/05/19 ( Decadal/Climate Change ):
- Jules Katjar. Global mean surface temperature response to Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation and Atlantic Multidecadal Variability in CMIP5. (view slides here – pdf)
- 30/04/19 (Extratropics – cancelled).
- 16/04/19 (Diverse):
- Chen Li. Flux Correction of the Land Surface Temperature in the UM Model. (view slides here – pdf)
- 02/04/19 (ENSO):
- Asha Vijayeta. Evaluating effect of thermocline depth estimation techniques on ENSO using linear recharge oscillator model.
- 19/03/19 (Decadal/Climate Change):
- Leela Frankcombe. On the Choice of Method for Estimating the Forced Signal in the Presence of Internal Variability. (view slides here – pdf)
- 05/03/19 (Extratropics):
- Giovanni Liguori. Pacific Meridional Modes, ENSO, and tropical decadal variability.
- 19/02/19 (Diverse):
- Andrew Marshall. Climate driver impacts on global ocean surface waves (view slides here – pdf).
- 11/12/18 (ENSO):
- Peter Strutton. TPOS2020 and tropical Pacific biogeochemistry.
- 13/11/18 (Extratropics):
- Shayne McGregor. Model tropical Atlantic biases underpin diminished Pacific decadal variability.
- Kimberley Jane Reid. The Australian Northwest Cloudband: Identification, Mechanisms and Influence on Rainfall.
- 30/10/18 (Climate Change):
- Sugata Narsey. Tropical-midlatitude influences on Australian rainfall variability.
- 16/10/18 (Decadal):
- Nerilie Abram. IOD and tropical climate variability during the last millennium.
- Jess Hargreaves. Do tropical ocean temperatures play a role in altering the width of the tropical rainfall belt? and ‘Christmas Island project proposal’.
- 02/10/18 (ENSO):
- Dietmar Dommenget. CMIP5 dynamical changes of ENSO in the framework of the linear Recharge Oscillator model.
- Scott Power. The impact of global warming on ENSO teleconnection.
- 18/09/18 (Diverse): Introductions.
- 04/09/18 (Extratropics): Introductions.
- 21/08/18 (Climate change): Introductions.
- 07/08/18 (Decadal): Introductions.
- 24/07/18 (ENSO): Introductions.