Led by Dietmar Dommenget
The CLEX Tropical Variability group meets fortnightly via videoconference to share research on atmospheric sciences, physical oceanography and climate from subseasonal to multidecadal timescales and beyond.
The meetings occur every second Tuesday at 10am. Meeting reminders are sent to the group email list (email@example.com) on the Thursday and Monday before the meeting.
We have more than CLEX 100 subscribers. To join our list, please contact Andrea Taschetto ( Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ). Due to a large number of members, we have decided to cycle the meetings through four themes:
- Andrea Taschetto ( email@example.com )
- Decadal Variability and Climate Change:
- Kimberley Jane Reid ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Diverse (e.g. MJO, monsoons, model errors, oceans, land, TCs, etc.)
We welcome volunteers to talk in the meetings. If you want to give a talk at the Tropical Variability meeting, please contact Andrea Taschetto ( Email: email@example.com ) – or the theme leaders above.
November 12 (Decadal/Climate Change): Jiale Lou. A Linear Inverse Model of South Pacific Decadal Climate Variability and Predictability.
November 26 (ENSO): CANCELLED
December 10 (Diverse): Rishav Goyal – TBA
- Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://unsw.zoom.us/j/825572965
- Or iPhone one-tap: 16699006833,825572965# or 16465588656,825572965#
- Or Telephone: Dial: +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) Meeting ID: 825 572 965. International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/ax4KAMBB6
- Or a H.323/SIP room system: SIP:firstname.lastname@example.org
- or H323: email@example.com (From Cisco)
- or H323: 188.8.131.52##825572965 (From Huawei, LifeSize, Polycom) or 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11 (U.S.). Meeting ID: 825572965
- 29/10/19 (Extratropics)
- Qian Li – A Linear Inverse Model of South Pacific Decadal Climate Variability and Predictability.
- 15/10/19 (Diverse)
- Ryan Holmes – Atlantic ocean heat transport enabled by Indo-Pacific heat uptake and mixing. (view slides here – pdf)
- 01/10/19 (ENSO)
- Christine Chung. The influence of the South Pacific and Tropical Atlantic on Tropical Pacific variability in ACCESS-CM2. (view slides here – pdf)
- 17/09/19 (Decadal Climate Change)
- Christian Stassen. Conceptual understanding on large-scale tropical precipitation changes. (view slides here – pdf)
- 03/09/19 (Extratropics)
- Giovanni Liguori – Disentangling the drivers of global and tropical Pacific decadalvariability using large ensembles.
- 20/08/19 (Diverse)
- Tim Cowan. Multi-week predictability of the extreme conditions associated with the February 2019 floods across North Queensland. (view slides here – pdf)
- 06/08/19 (ENSO)
- Sonja Neske. Wind spatial structure underpins ENSO’s oceanic warm water volume changes. (view slides here – pdf)
- 23/07/19 (Decadal/Climate Change)
- Harry Hendon. Continuation of Tropical Pacific Ocean trend will weaken linkage of SAM and extreme El Niño. (view slides here – pdf)
- 09/07/19 (Extratropics)
- Julie Arblaster. The influence of tropical SSTs on Antarctic and Arctic sea ice extent (view slides here – pdf).
- 18/06/19 (Diverse):
- Zijie Zhao. Midsummer drought over Central America and Mexico: Methods, Signatures and Mechanisms.
- 11/06/19 (Cancelled):
- AMOS Conference.
- 28/05/19 (ENSO):
- Shreya Dhame. Atmospheric response to long-term Indian Ocean Warming in CAM5.
- 14/05/19 ( Decadal/Climate Change ):
- Jules Katjar. Global mean surface temperature response to Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation and Atlantic Multidecadal Variability in CMIP5. (view slides here – pdf)
- 30/04/19 (Extratropics – cancelled).
- 16/04/19 (Diverse):
- Chen Li. Flux Correction of the Land Surface Temperature in the UM Model. (view slides here – pdf)
- 02/04/19 (ENSO):
- Asha Vijayeta. Evaluating effect of thermocline depth estimation techniques on ENSO using linear recharge oscillator model.
- 19/03/19 (Decadal/Climate Change):
- Leela Frankcombe. On the Choice of Method for Estimating the Forced Signal in the Presence of Internal Variability. (view slides here – pdf)
- 05/03/19 (Extratropics):
- Giovanni Liguori. Pacific Meridional Modes, ENSO, and tropical decadal variability.
- 19/02/19 (Diverse):
- Andrew Marshall. Climate driver impacts on global ocean surface waves (view slides here – pdf).
- 11/12/18 (ENSO):
- Peter Strutton. TPOS2020 and tropical Pacific biogeochemistry.
- 13/11/18 (Extratropics):
- Shayne McGregor. Model tropical Atlantic biases underpin diminished Pacific decadal variability.
- Kimberley Jane Reid. The Australian Northwest Cloudband: Identification, Mechanisms and Influence on Rainfall.
- 30/10/18 (Climate Change):
- Sugata Narsey. Tropical-midlatitude influences on Australian rainfall variability.
- 16/10/18 (Decadal):
- Nerilie Abram. IOD and tropical climate variability during the last millennium.
- Jess Hargreaves. Do tropical ocean temperatures play a role in altering the width of the tropical rainfall belt? and ‘Christmas Island project proposal’.
- 02/10/18 (ENSO):
- Dietmar Dommenget. CMIP5 dynamical changes of ENSO in the framework of the linear Recharge Oscillator model.
- Scott Power. The impact of global warming on ENSO teleconnection.
- 18/09/18 (Diverse): Introductions.
- 04/09/18 (Extratropics): Introductions.
- 21/08/18 (Climate change): Introductions.
- 07/08/18 (Decadal): Introductions.
- 24/07/18 (ENSO): Introductions.